Belcroft is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected, and our use of personal information is governed by this Privacy Notice.
Belcroft Limited is a controller of personal information that it collects and uses about you. We will treat your personal information as confidential and in accordance with applicable data protection legislation and your personal information will only be shared in accordance with this privacy notice.
What is personal Information?
Personal information is any information that tells us something about you. This could include information such as a name, contact details, date of birth, bank account details or any information about your needs and circumstances that would allow us to identify you.
“Special Information” is information of a personal nature that could include health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions and sexual orientation. This information is more sensitive, and we do not have reason or justification to collect this information in the normal course of business.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect your full name, contact details (such as phone number, email address) from you when you first engage with us either by telephone, in person or via our website.
In addition, if we are providing a service to you, or on your behalf, where we are required to do so by law, we will collect information relating to your identity which will include at least one form of photographic identification (such as a passport or drivers licence) and one form of documentation with proof of your place of residence (such as a recent utility bill).
Depending on the service that we provide to you or on your behalf, we may also collect personal information as details below;
Buy, Sell, Let
If you are buying, selling or letting a property through us or we are acting on your behalf;
- We will collect a telephone number and email address to progress your transaction and keep you informed of progress. Where you are not the legal owner of the property, we will request details from you as to your ability to sell or let the property such as a Power of Attorney, Guardianship Order or Grant of Probate.
- If you engage with Belcroft we may collect information required to identify you to meet anti-money laundering and counterterrorist financing requirements.
- If we are dealing with an entity such as a company, trust or charity, we may need to obtain personal information for the beneficiaries of the entity and those in a position of control. This will include, but is not limited to, identity and address documents. We may also need to collect information on other individuals who have an interest in the property who are not considered to be our customers.
- We may require bank details from you in order to process a reservation fee or for it’s return.
- Where we are working alongside third parties such as solicitors, developers and letting agents, we may need to share these documents on the basis of legitimate interests.
- Where we are selling a property for you, we will collect personal information relating to any specific access requirements you may have. We will also collect personal information required to source a property for you, where required.
- We record all of our calls with you for the purposes of training, compliance, quality assurance and fraud prevention and this may constitute personal data.
Where we engage with you to assist you in the management of a relationship with a letting agent or other professional such as solicitor, broker, developer, on your behalf, we may require further contact information from you, either personal or that of a third party, that you authorise to be involved in any transaction.
Where you engage us for portfolio management services, we will share your personal information with third parties such as brokers as is necessary to allow us to fulfil our obligations to you and to properly advise on and manage your property investments.
- Where you engage with us as an individual investor or as a limited company, we will collect information required to identify you to meet anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing requirements.
- If you subscribe to receive research, news or other market updates from us then in addition to the above we will collect details that will allow us to send the relevant information to you.
How we use your personal information.
What is the legal basis of our data processing?
Under data protection legislation we are only permitted to use your personal information if we have a legal basis for doing so. We rely on the following legal bases to use your information.
- For employment-related purposes.
- Where we need information to perform the contract we have entered into with you.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- Where the processing is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in Belcroft’s legitimate interests (or those of a third party) to do so and provided that your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests, including: Processing that is necessary for us to promote our business, brand and products and measure the reach and success of our campaign. This would include sending marketing information after you have engaged us to provide services or received services from us, which may either be similar and of interest to you or where you have expressly indicated that you would like to receive such information. You have the right to opt out of receiving this information at any time.
- Processing that is necessary to improve our knowledge of the real estate sector – this will include undertaking research and market analysis so that we better understand trends in the real estate sector enabling us to provide better knowledge and a more tailored and relevant service to clients in the future.
- Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently and effectively. This may include processing for network and information security purposes for example, to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access.
In more limited circumstances we may also rely on the following legal bases: Where we need
- to protect your interests (or someone else’s interests) and/or Where it is needed in the
- public interest or for official purposes.
Specific information on how your personal information will be used for the particular services you have requested from us:
- We will use your personal information to conduct due diligence in accordance with legal or regulatory obligations.
- We will share your personal information with your appointed solicitor, broker, letting agent or other specified professional and agents acting for the other side of the deal as is necessary to facilitate the sale or purchase. We my also share your personal information with joint or multi agents or developers as the case may be.
- We will share, if required, your personal data and third-party referencing agencies for the purposes of the prevention or detection of crime, fraud and/or money laundering.
Other possible uses of your personal information
- If we sell any part of our business and/or integrate it with another organisation, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and to prospective purchasers or joint venture partners or their agents. If this occurs the new owners of the business will only be permitted to use your information in the same or similar way as set out in this privacy notice We will share, if required to do so, your personal information with our regulators, governmental or quasi-governmental organisations, law enforcement authorities and with the courts, tribunals and arbitrators in order to comply with our regulatory and legal obligations.
- Where we use third party service providers who process personal information on our behalf in order to provide services to us, this includes IT systems providers, IT contractors and marketing providers.
- We will hold your personal information on our client management systems and use this to provide you with marketing information about similar services offered by Belcroft to those which you engaged us to provide. You have the opportunity to opt out of receiving this information at any time.
- If you do not provide some information that we request, we may be unable legally to provide certain services as this would leave us unable to comply with our legal obligations. This information would include, but is not limited to your name, contact information and identification.
We will explain this to you should this become necessary.
How we keep your information secure.
The security of information is very important to us and we have measures in place which are designed to prevent unauthorised access to your personal information, including but not limited to:
Our client files are stored on our secure client management systems. Access is restricted on our client systems to those within the business who are required to have access to your information.
Although our policy is not to store hard copy documentation, should this be unavoidable, we store your information in locked cabinets.
Access to our offices is restricted with 24-hour security personnel on site to monitor access to the building with unique carded access to the systems and data storage.
Staff are trained on the correct way to handle and store client personal information.
For how long do we keep your personal information.
The period for which we will retain your personal information will depend on the services you have requested from us. The retention period may be longer than the period for which we are providing services to you where we have a statutory or regulatory obligation to do so or where we may need to retain the information in the case of a legal claim.
Your rights in relation to your personal information.
- You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information including the right to:
- Be informed about how we use your personal information.
- Obtain access to your personal information that we hold.
- In certain circumstances to erase your personal information , these include, but are not limited to Belcroft continuing to use personal information where there is no overriding compelling ground which enables us to continue with the
- processing, if the personal information has been processed unlawfully (in breach of data protection legislation) or if Belcroft is relying on consent as the legal basis for processing and you withdraw consent.
- Ask us to restrict our data processing activities where you consider that personal information is inaccurate, unlawful where we no longer need it, but you require that we keep it to enable you to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim or where you have raised an objection to our use of your personal information.
Please note that we will keep a record of the fact that you have made a request to exercise your rights and our response to your request in order to demonstrate compliance with our data protection obligations and so we can handle any queries, complaints or claims in relation to your request.